Hong Kong: At the annual gastronomy fair, we will only eat with our eyes

Posted

hong kongAt the annual gastronomy fair, we will only eat with our eyes

In Hong Kong, the tens of thousands of visitors to the gastronomic high mass cannot taste the dishes presented. Because of the coronavirus, they will have to keep the mask on.

There will be no tasting areas at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Center.

AFP

Visitors to Hong Kong’s annual world food expo will not be allowed to remove their masks to sample food on display at the booths due to coronavirus restrictions, the organizer announced on Tuesday.

Tens of thousands of visitors and hundreds of exhibitors are expected at the event, which will last five days and start next Thursday at the city’s Convention and Exhibition Center. But there will be no tasting areas, so all attendees will need to keep their masks on, said Sophia Chong, acting CEO of expo organizer the Trade Development Council.

“We understand that visitors want to taste the samples,” she said. “We can resume this arrangement after the pandemic, when it is safe and hygienic to do so.”

“No impact” on exposure

The move comes a day after another government decision aimed at fans at the Hong Kong Sevens in November – a rugby sevens tournament, one of the city’s most popular events: they will be allowed to drink, but not eat in the stands, and will have to wear their mask between each sip.

Sophia Chong assured not to worry about the impact of this measure on the exhibition, the ban on tasting having been applied last year as well. “The number of exhibitors at this year’s Food Expo even exceeded last year’s,” she said.

Hong Kong is enforcing China’s strict zero Covid policy, bogged down in a third year of isolation via strict border measures and social distancing. Gatherings of more than four people in public places are also prohibited. In recent weeks, the city has recorded between 3,000 and 4,000 cases per day.

(AFP)

Leave a Comment