Cyanobacteria: call for caution for dogs


The dog died at Jeunes-Rives in Neuchâtel (archives). KEYSTONE/ANTHONY ANEX sda-ats

This content was published on June 20, 2022 – 17:07

(Keystone-ATS)

The cause of the dog’s death on Saturday at Jeunes-Rives in Neuchâtel is linked to cyanobacteria in Lake Neuchâtel. On its Facebook page, the canton calls for caution dog owners and parents of small children.

According to the head of the Consumer and Veterinary Affairs Department, Pierre-François Gobat, quoted by RTN on Monday, the weather conditions and the symptoms observed “lead to a virtual certainty” on the cause of the animal’s death, either in due to cyanobacteria. An autopsy will therefore not be performed. Arcinfo had revealed on Saturday that the cyanobacterium resurfaced.

During the summer of 2020, after the death of six dogs in 24 hours following swimming between the mouth of the Areuse and Colombier, the canton of Neuchâtel had decided to preventively close the beaches in this area and had advised against swimming. across the whole lake.

The cyanobacterium develops in periods of high heat as well as calm and stagnant water. It can produce neurotoxins in a totally unpredictable way which, ingested by the dog even at very low doses, can be fatal. Pierre-François Gobat encourages owners not to let their dog bathe.

The cantonal veterinarian also warned parents of small children, who may be more susceptible to the bacteria.

Leave a Comment